Are you experiencing some air conditioner problems recently?
Air conditioners are famed to make our houses cool. It also does some other functions like air purification and air direction controls. It is built to last for ages and is meant to withstand a lot of different weather conditions. This appliance usually takes up to 5-10 years for its life expectancy. Of course, they are made to make your summers cooler and make cold days a bit warmer. So don’t let it make your head hot due to its usual wear and tear problems that you might encounter along the way. There are so many factors why these problems happen. It includes your location, maintenance, installation, and many others.
Once you have noticed that your air conditioners are failing, the best way to do this is to call the experts in home maintenance. Before you call them, some of these problems could also be easily fixed by ourselves. All we have to do is to properly check and identify these facts. Check everything out as we share the most common problems with your aircon and also know when to call the experts.
1. Filter failures
Air conditioner problems sometimes start with filters! Filters are known as the central cleaning unit of our air conditioners. Regular maintenance or filter clean-up will surely take you away from this problem. Start by using simple vacuum cleaning among the filter, and that will save you. If it happens to be the worst, call the maintenance expert if the filter has not been cleaned for more than a month. Because surely looking at the condition, the air-conditioning filter might be totally clogged. A clogged air filter restricts an efficient airflow in the appliance. It will decrease the efficiency and the ability of the unit to effectively make the air cool. The filter has to be changed by an air-conditioning repair team for it to function properly. This process should be done at least once a month. If you are living with pets, it should be done after every three weeks.
2. Wrong installation area
A faulty appliance installation plan usually ends up in a disaster. This also makes one of the top air conditioner problems. Do you know that air conditioners shouldn’t be installed along the sunny side of the house? Sunny weather conditions decrease the air conditioner’s efficiency of up to 35%. If you are guilty of this common problem, worry no more as there are still simple fixes you can do. the first one is the installation of an air conditioner protector. You can easily just add housing for the air conditioner by simply adding a roof into it. Or if you can’t do the do-it-yourself, it is the time to call home maintenance experts to reinstall your air conditioner on another side of your house.
This will require a lot of work, as you’ll have to remove the air conditioner and needs to bore another hole where to properly reinstall your air conditioner.
3. Uneven cooling
While having the best spot of your air conditioner is very essential, uneven cooling might still happen. Another of the air conditioner problems is uneven cooling. If you are experiencing this problem, it is the proper time for you to check some things inside the home. This problem is usually the result of leaks in ductwork, poor insulation, or blocked vents or registers. To get away from this, you should try ensuring that all home vents are open, unobstructed and should also be properly cleaned. Another way to prevent this problem from happening is by installing blackout curtain windows during the hottest times of the day.
If all of these steps are still not working, this is now the time for you to call home maintenance experts. They can prepare the proper installation of zoning systems inside the home to let you control the temperature in specific areas. This practice will let you take control of how to manage the temperature in various parts of the house with just one action.
4. Water drips
One of the highest recorded air conditioner problems comes from water drips. A refrigerant leak may cause ice build-up over the coils resulting to water drips. If this happens, you should check the condensate line or the PVC pipe exit of the air conditioning unit. At times it may be clogged, that’s why it is handy to check them periodically. If this happens, make sure to flush the pipe using compressed air. In other parts of the air conditioner are freezing you should also turn it off immediately. Immediate turn off will let the unit to defrost in its own, for it to properly do a restart. This maintenance solution can be found in the manufacturer’s guide/instructions.
If you think this process is complicated for you to do, then it is the right time to call the experts. They’ll be able to do the job for you and even do some maintenance check for water drip problems.
5. Strange noises
Any disturbing sound from our air conditioning unit means a total problem. These types of air conditioner problems make a lot of disturbances! There are different sounds associated with the different parts of the air conditioner.
- Clicking Sound- if you hear a clicking sound after turning on your air conditioner, this might signify a problem with the power relay. This happens when there is a gap between the wirings inside the appliance. It might also sound like a rattling noise that tells us that the motor is loose and failing motor. The first thing to do is to turn the unit off and call a professional.
- Clanging, Thumping or Banging Sound – if you hear these sounds it means that there is a problem with the motor or blower assembly. The first thing to do is to turn the unit off and call a professional.
- Screeching or Squealing Sound – these sounds signifies that there is a problem with the motor’s bearing. This tells you that the belt is getting crispy and might result in breakage. the remedy you could do id to simply put a lubricant to the unit’s oil chamber. You can find this on the user’s guide.
- Smacking, or Bicycle Spoke-like Sound – these sounds tell you that there might be a blockage/obstruction on the blower blades in the housing of the unit. To fix this, you should first turn off the air conditioner and inspect the blower for obstructing debris.
- There might be a lot of problems that you might encounter, there are still more solutions that the internet can offer. But just a reminder before you start troubleshooting your air conditioner, always consider the manufacturer’s warranty terms. The basics of troubleshooting include air filter change and general clean up. If you will be performing something complex, make sure to check it with the manufacturer.